Fact Sheet: Report from IFFGD Research Award Winner: Role of the Central Immune System in Functional Disorders225
A new concept of activation of immune cells within the central nervous system (CNS), including the brain and the spinal cord, has been proposed as a major factor contributing to the generation and maintenance of chronic pain.
Fact Sheet: Report from IFFGD Research Award Winner: Symptom Based Psychology for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders230
How do we understand the many studies that show an increase in negative moods like anxiety or depression in those suffering from functional gastrointestinal (GI) and pain conditions? Are these psychological factors an important cause for the development and/or maintenance of symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and other functional GI disorders? Or are they a result of maybe years of disrupted life activities and frequent periods of intolerable symptoms?Topics: Brain-Gut, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), relaxation, Research, Working with your healthcare provider
This article explains the role of serotonin in the gut and how this may be used to develop new treatments for the functional gastrointestinal disorders.
Fact Sheet: Understanding Functional GI Disorders252
Functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders are a highly prevalent group of persistent and recurring conditions that can affect any part of the GI tract. They afflict millions of people of all ages, causing discomfort ranging from inconvenience to disability. Yet they remain largely hidden and misunderstood. This article explains the challenges of the conditions and the approaches to diagnoses and treatments.
In this issue:
- April is IBS Awareness Month
- IBS Symptom Changes you Should not Ignore
- Research News
- Detecting Barrett’s Esophagus
- Treating Gastroparesis
- Mind-Body Therapy
- Treating Constipation
- C. Difficile Treatment
- Short Bowel Syndrome Treatment
- Industry Treatment News
- Foundation Update
- Patient Needs Expressed
- Professional Events
- Legislative Update
- Priorities for 2011
- Register for our 2011 Capitol Hill Advocacy Day
- DDNC Public Policy Forum
- Hope Through Research
- Community News
- Digestive Health Alliance Benefit Regatta
- First Annual Walk by the Bay
Remember, Digestive Health Matters is FREE to Members.Topics: Barrett's, Brain-Gut, CAM, Complementary & Alternative Treatments, Constipation, difficult to pass stools, DHM Magazines, Gastroparesis, GER, GERD, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Other Disorders/Symptoms
In this issue:
- Functional GI Disorders – Setting the Record Straight
- Infant Regurgitation
- VA Recognition of Functional GI Disorders
- New U.S. Food Safety Laws
- Resilience of Children Receiving Intravenous Nutrition
- Ask Questions about Tests
- Research Findings in Chronic GI Conditions
- Progressive GI Symptoms: Could it be Scleroderma?
Remember, Digestive Health Matters is FREE to Members.Topics: Brain-Gut, Colonic motility, inertia, pseudo-obstruction, DHM Magazines, Dyspepsia, pain in upper abdomen or chest, Nausea, vomiting, Other Disorders/Symptoms, Tests, lower GI tract, Tests, upper GI tract
In this issue:
Topics: Bacteria, gut flora, Brain-Gut, DHM Magazines, Diarrhea, loose stools, Digestive System, Incontinence, Research
- Endpoints, Outcomes – and Fresh Starts
- 2009 IFFGD Research Awards
- Medical Management of Fecal Incontinence
- Serotonin: What is it doing in my Gastrointestinal Tract?
- The Clinical Corner
- Is it safe to take loperamide long-term to control diarrhea?
- Can a probiotic help to prevent traveler’s diarrhea?
- Report from IFFGD Research Award Winner: Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders: New Insights in Enteric Regulation
Documents listed on this page are available for download in Adobe’s PDF format. If you don’t have Adobe Reader, please visit Adobe’s site to download it. It’s free!